Sports Schedule Click Here
The athletic program at GMS is designed to be a vehicle by which the purpose and objectives of the school can be fulfilled. Jesus Christ is at the center of school and our athletic program and we wish to honor Him with our actions and attitudes both on and off the field. The athletic program works to impact the physical development needs of our students. Our athletic teams will strive to be competitive and excellent in all that they do, develop greater self control in responding to situations and to learn respect for authority. While realizing that success is not measured by the number of wins but by the physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual development of both players and coaches. The opportunity for athletic participation is open to all students who meet the criteria of academic eligibility, school behavioral guidelines, and athletic skill.
Athletic Team Opportunities
• Instructional girls volleyball (6th, 7th, and 8th grades)
• Middle school boys soccer (6th, 7th, and 8th grades)
• Instructional girls basketball (6th, 7th, and 8th grades)
• Instructional boys basketball (6th, 7th, an 8th grades)
• Middle school girls softball (6th, 7th, and 8th grades)
• Middle school boys baseball (6th, 7th, and 8th grades)
• Junior varsity girls volleyball (7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades)
• Junior varsity girls basketball (7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades)
• Junior varsity boys basketball (7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th grades)
• Junior varsity track and field (6th, 7th, and 8th)
• Varsity girls volleyball (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
• Varsity boys soccer (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
• Varsity girls basketball (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
• Varsity boys basketball (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
• Varsity girls softball (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th, grades)
• Varsity boys baseball (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
• Varsity track and field (9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades)
Athletic Team Descriptions
This is the most highly organized and intense level of high school athletics. Varsity teams are typically made up of ninth through twelfth graders. Varsity athletes need to have enough physical ability, skill, and sport knowledge to handle strenuous practices and games. Varsity teams practice or play three and a maximum of 4 times per week through out the season and may occasionally practice or play on Saturdays. Varsity teams may sometimes play in tournaments, which will require daylong or overnight stays. Playing time is not guaranteed at the varsity level.
Junior Varsity teams are typically made up of seventh, eighth, ninth, and tenth graders. Junior Varsity athletes are younger players who desire to play on the Varsity level and are working to develop their skills for future athletic opportunities. Junior Varsity teams play a shorter season with fewer games and practices, usually two and a maximum of three games and practices per week. Although there is no guarantee of plying time at the Junior Varsity level, coaches are encouraged to provide game opportunities for all team members.
Each season, based on interest, there are sports offered at the Middle School level. Middle School teams are typically made up of sixth, seventh, and eighth graders. Middle School athletes are younger players who are looking for participation, instructional, and developmental athletic opportunities. Middle School teams play a shorter season with fewer games and practices, usually two and maximum of three games and practices per week. Every team member will play in every game unless there is health or disciplinary restrictions.
Varsity and Junior Varsity teams will have a designated tryout period. Eligible student-athletes will be selected based on 1.) their current level of skill 2.) their potential for improvement 3.) their natural physical abilities (size, speed, strength, endurance, agility, and quickness) that will aid them in their development of skills not yet refined 4.) their attitude 5.) their effort 6.) their willingness to be part of a team. The head coach and the athletic director will determine the roster size for each team. Middle school teams will be open to all 6th-8th grade student athletes who are academically eligible and attend practices regardless of skill level
An annual sports banquet will be held at the end of the school year. Certificates will be given to each student athlete who is on the honor roll 2 of the first 3 marking periods. A GMS chenille letter will be given to each student athlete who participates in a varsity sport the first time and a letter certificate each year thereafter. Sports-pins will be given to each senior for each varsity sport they participated in. A sportsmanship award will be given to the senior (male and female) who best exhibits good sportsmanship.